Welcome to Scotland

If you’re preparing to live, work or study in Scotland from overseas, these online resources may help you.

Explore support options for:

  • learning English
  • visas, immigration and taxes
  • refugees
  • international students
Two people going through orders in a storage room

How we can help you

We can help you explore your financial, employment or studying options if you’re new to Scotland.

Our careers advisers can help you understand how your qualifications from overseas compare to qualifications here in Scotland.

They can also take you through your learning or training options and help make sure you have the documentation you’ll need to undertake employment.

If you’d like to talk to someone, you can speak to a careers adviser on the phone. Our helpline is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Call: 0800 917 8000



Explore support now

Learning English

Build your confidence 

If English is not your first language, you can take a course to improve your language skills and build your confidence.

You can view a range of learning options on esl.co.uk.

The Bridges Programmes offer support for refugees, asylum seekers, migrants and anyone for whom English is a second language, living in Glasgow. They can help with things like work placements and employability support.

English language qualifications 

The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is an English language test for study, migration or work. It is accepted widely by employers, universities, schools and immigration bodies around the world.

Visit ielts.org if you’d like to take a test or access practice questions.

Visas, immigration and taxes

For information and advice on immigration, and visas for work or study, visit gov.uk.

For advice on tax and National Insurance for migrant workers in Scotland, HM Revenue and Customs have everything you’ll need.

Migrant Help support people affected by displacement. They can help you obtain financial support and access to an Aspen Card. An Aspen Card is a debit payment card given to UK asylum seekers by the Home Office.

Help for refugees and asylum seekers

Emergency supplies

If you require clothing, school supplies, toiletries or other essential supplies, Refuweegee’s shop service is open to everyone.

Similarly, Maslow’s in Glasgow also offer free clothing and supplies.

Support services

Scottish Refugee Council offer a range of employability services amongst others. Their country-wide map of support that you can use to find support networks in your area. Through the Scottish Refugee Council, you can also access the integration service and the destitution service.

For those affected by trauma or who require therapy, Freedom of Torture can help.

The Aberlour Guardianship service provide support for unaccompanied children and young people trying to navigate a new city and the asylum system.

Asylum Help UK offers help and advice for asylum seekers. Similarly, The British Red Cross offers support for Refugees.

Help for international students

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (CISA) has helpful advice and information for international students who are studying, or want to study, in the UK.

The Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services (AGCAS) shares expertise in student career development.

Guidance for employment in Scotland

TUC’s WorkSmart website has advice and essential information about legal rights for EU migrant workers. Similarly, Talent Scotland have information on job vacancies and working in Scotland.